Household - Natural Yard Care
Natural yard care reduces the need for landscape pesticides around homes and businesses.
Pesticides, human health and the environment – why care?
- Pesticides (including weed and bug killers) include some of the most hazardous chemicals used at home. Young children are especially vulnerable to chemical hazards.
- In our environment, pesticides can also harm pets, birds and fish, good bugs and other wildlife.
What can you do?
- Garden with fewer hazardous products. Choose safer pesticides and garden products at Grow Smart, Grow Safe (external link).
- Get your lawn or garden questions answered six days a week, Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., by emailing the Garden Hotline (external link) experts, or calling them at 206-633-0224.
- Take kids to play in Pesticide-Free Places. The managers at these parks, gardens and trails have committed to using few to no pesticides in their landscape management.
If you see pesticide misuse, call this number
If you see what appears to be the misuse of pesticide: misapplication, overspray, spraying on windy day, improper signage or other problems you can file a complaint by calling Washington State Department of Agriculture (external link) at 1-877-301-4555 (toll-free).