Household Hazardous Waste Household Disposal Locations Wastemobile Business Hazardous Waste Hazardous Waste Directory Industrial Materials Exchange (IMEX) Financial Help Report a Violator
Hazardous & Toxic Chemicals Natural Landscaping & Pesticides Floods EnviroStars Policy Young Children & Families Choose Safer Household Products Resources for Schools
Library Publications
About Us Jobs Governance and Program Structure Funding and Fees FAQs on Business/Multi-Family Rate Structure
Spanish Vietnamese Russian Somali Chinese Korean Ukrainian Other Languages

Schools & Child Cares - Reduce Pesticide Use

Home >> Natural Landscaping & Pesticides >> Schools & Child Cares - Reduce Pesticide Use

Implement IPM help Email Dave Email Gail Schools & Child Cares – Reduce Pesticide Use

Use integrated pest management (IPM)

IPM is an approach to managing pests while reducing the need to use pesticides.

Why reduce pesticides and use an IPM approach?

How to start using IPM

  • Consult with local services in King County, Washington
    • Schools - contact Sharon Schoenfeld-Cohen Email or call 206-263-8485
    • Child cares - contact Gail Gensler Email or call 206-263-1654
    • Get reimbursed 50 percent up to $500 per site for buying weed burners, insect monitoring stations and other tools to reduce the use of pesticides or other hazardous products.
  • See what local schools/childcares have done:
  • Use workshops and online resources:
  • Get questions answered by
    • The Environmental Protection Agency – Juliann Barta at 206-553-1495.
    • Washington State University Extension – Carrie Foss at 253-445-4577.

What parents can do about pesticide use at schools and child cares

  • Ask your school or child care (external link) to consider using IPM. Use this 10 step process from Washington Toxics Coalition to encourage your school or child care to adopt a less-toxic pest management policy.
  • Contact the school or child care and ask about their pesticide use and notification policy.
  • Ask to see the annual pesticide use report.
  • Get information about the products used at school or child care from the Garden Hotline at or 206-633-0224.
  • Volunteer to help with weeding. Many schools have Adopt-a-Flowerbed programs for student and parent volunteers.
  • Learn more about gardening without pesticides (external link)